Do you read many books at home? If so, then, you only know the pleasure of reading a book on a indoor relaxing hammock. However, you can’t always get that chance if it is hanging on a room where sunlight is limited. The best place to hang the hammock for this purpose could be on the balcony. In this article, I am going to show you How To Hang a Hammock on a Balcony.
The modern commodity market is replete with various models of hammocks. The usual places of hanging hammock are under the canopy of the trees of the summer cottage, on the veranda, near the seashore.
You can create an exotic corner for rest right in the city apartment, hanging the hammock on the balcony. To do this, you should first choose the right type of hammock, learn how to correctly place it, learn simple rules for care and maintenance.
The advantages of a hammock at home
Hanging hammock on the balcony is characterized by compactness and mobility. Unlike a sofa or couch, you can place the hammock at any angle. Move the flexible structure to the side, lift it or completely remove is not difficult. Hammock has other advantages:
- You can move it into the room providing an additional system of fastening for the winter or during bad weather;
- The products are sewn from sturdy fabrics with a tight weave or knitted from equally strong ropes, calculated on the weight of an adult;
- Properly fitted fasteners at support points provide additional reliability of the suspension bed.
Materials That You Need
Deciding how to hang a hammock on the balcony depends on the material of the hammock. Before you attach the hammock on balcony, know the types of hammock’s fabric that are best suited. Following are the type of materials of the hammock:
- Natural originated fabrics (canvas, tarpaulin, teak) are pleasant for the skin, withstand a weight of at least 160 kg, and are easily washable. At the same time, they absorb moisture, so in wet weather, they are cleaned from the balcony to prevent mold growth.
- Synthetic (polyester, nylon) fabric is designed for loads up to 120 kg; it is more rigid and is not affected by water. However, synthetic fabrics do not breathe. In the heat, it is not too much comfortable.
- Grid: Popular, but not the best option. To sleep on the grid, you have to buy a mattress. Moreover, the maximum load that the mesh fabric can withstand is only 80-100 kg.
How To Hang a Hammock on a Balcony
The task to hang a hammock does not require special skills and devices. To complete it, you will need the following tools and materials:
- Pencil, tape measure;
- Perforator or hammer drill;
- Drill for concrete – diameter 10 mm;
- Pliers ;
- A pair of anchor bolts with hooks;
- If necessary, hanging ropes.
The design of anchor bolts is for fastening various structures to concrete, natural stone, solid brick. You can get that equipment in hardware stores. The length and diameter of fasteners are selected depending on the material and the thickness of the base. For a standard balcony wall, anchor bolts of 10 x 60 mm are sufficient.
Note that: For a hammock with a length of 2.9 m, the dimensions of the room should be 2.5-3.0 m. Attaching additional lines requires a loggia size of up to 7 m.
To hang the hammock in balcony following the steps below in order:
- At the height of 1-1.5 meters from the floor is the recommended height. The height is convenient for you to sleep on the hammock peacefully.
- Using a hammer drill, make a hole along the length of the bolt using a 10 mm drill bit. Remove the drill every 10 seconds from the wall and cool it for some time without water.
- Turning on the drill in reverse mode or using a flat screwdriver, remove concrete chips from the drilled channels.
- Insert the anchor bolt into the hole with a hook out. To make it tight, hammer it properly.
- Holding the hook, use the pliers to tighten the nut clockwise until it stops.
- Knot the rope on a hook at the desired height. Cling the hammock hook to the knot on the string.
- Repeat the steps 2-6 to make the second attachment.
Sometimes you may ask a question: how to attach a hammock if the balcony has fragile walls (for example, wooden) or there is a side glazing. If the model does not provide a frame, make a metal rack, which is screwed with anchors to the ceiling and floor. The standard thickness of the balcony slab is 100-120 mm, so the length of the anchor bolt should be 60-80 mm.
To prevent the anchor supports from sliding down due to the weight load, use the unique stoppers. It is best to provide a ring with a lock – this will allow you to change the height of the hammock.
A convenient, original and practical product will last longer and will retain an attractive appearance if it is selected taking into account the previously listed criteria and is correctly operated. Here are a few highlights that are not hard to remember if you decided to place a hammock on the balcony or loggia:
- Maximum weight load for standard types is 160 kg;
- Follow the user manual to install and fix the hammock ;
- It would help if you did not make sudden movements, jump, swing with a large amplitude while resting in a hammock;
- Please don’t put it in prolonged exposure in direct sunlight, in the cold, and the rain. These environmental factors lead to the deterioration of the hammock;
Before you go to the hammock, back to it and gently sit down. After the hesitation of oscillations subsides, you should lie on one side, then throw your legs on the cloth and take a comfortable pose.
In case of any problems with the vestibular apparatus, the lack of rigid support may seem uncomfortable. Gradually, the person learns to relax and begins to enjoy, swaying in a hammock.