Are you looking for the secrets way to make a DIY hammock Underquilt?
Don’t be worried because I am here to help you with that. Here, I will elucidate a couple of Underquilt making the process for you. You just have to select one that you like and follow the whole process step by step.
Day by day, hammocking around the world is increasing as people like me, and you like to adventure and enjoy nature. Most people are turning towards hammock from tents because of their comfort and safety from ground elements. Still, there are some problems with the hammock that is needed to be solved.
Generally, using a hammock is the right choice in the summer. But, when it’s winter, the hammock doesn’t provide that warmth shield to protect us from the cold monster. In that case, the Underquilt warriors come to save us. If you want to buy a high-quality hammock Underquilt, it will cost around 100 bucks. So, let’s make an underquilt warrior by yourself today and save some money for the future.
The space blanket Underquilt process
- You will require a couple of space blankets for the Underquilt making procedure. A single blanket is not enough to provide sufficient warmth; that’s why we will need two of them. Then, you have to adjoin both of them, and it would be an excellent fit for your hammock.
Now, you may ask “Where can I get them?” The answer is you can get each piece of space blanket in Walmart stores for not more than $10. Let’s see what it takes to make it.
- Two pieces of solar blankets
- Four parts of bungee cords
- Replacement hardware combo kit
- Stickier clear packaging tape
- 550 paracord (Parachute chord)
DIY hammock Underquilt making process:
Place both the space blankets on a flat surface. Make sure that the shiny side is facing up on both sides. In this case, both the blanket will overlap by a few feet. Your primary goal should be creating one blanket with two pieces of solar blanket.
- In the next step, to make one blanket out of two, you have to attach them with clear packaging tape.
- Now, take one side of the blanket and take the paracord. Then, you have to fold the edge of your blanket over a paracord. In this case, the back side, I mean the bright side will overlay the shiny side about 1.5- 2 inches. Afterward, attach the folded part with tape.
- In this step, take the other side of the blanket and do the same thing as you did in the previous step.
- Now, you will require the bungee cord. Join the bungee cord to one end (there will be 2 paracords open in one end). It will help your Underquilt to connect to the hammock. As the bungee cord is stretchy so when you will lie on the hammock and if you go a bit much lower, the bungee will stretch a bit, and your Underquilt will fit perfectly.
- Now, coming to the opposite end, you will require to join the two open paracords together. Attach them with cord lock and pull the locks down to make it tight. It will prevent the cold air from getting inside and also making it easier for you to fold it.
Homemade Costco solar blanket method
- The Costco is a renown retail company for people who want to save money on clothing or groceries. It will also help you to save some bucks on your camping gear. However, this plan is not wholly about Costco, but we will buy a blanket from them. You may need to look to another store for synthetic webbing and other equipment.
If you have a sewing machine at your house, that’s a plus point as you will need to do some sewing task. If you don’t have, you can use your friend’s or your neighbor’s sewing machine. The stitching process is pretty simple that without no prior experience, you can do that.
- Black diamond Space Blanket (Double)
- Polyester- synthetic webbing
- Sewing machine
- Bungee cords two pieces
- 2 pieces of toggles for bungee cords
- Carabiners 2 pieces
Let’s Watch a Video about DIY Hammock Underquilt :
The making procedure:
- First, facing the shiny side up, lay the black diamond space blanket.
- Then, find the shortest ends of the blankets and form baffles. You can do that by folding the square of the fabric. Once you folded, now you can stitch and lock it up. Do the same for the opposite end. Either you can use a sewing machine, or follow the hand sewing process whichever you feel comfortable.
- Now, move onto the long ends. In this part you have to fold two squares to make a baffle, that means double than the previous short end baffle. Do this at both long ends and stitch the line following the previous method.
- In this step, the synthetic webbing will come to work. Put the synthetic webbing along the long ends by stitching it on two sides.
- Now, coming to the short end, you have to thread bungee cords through the first and second baffle. Then, attach toggles on both sides. It will help you to regulate the tension of the bungee cord according to your need.
- Finally, you can connect the underquilt to your hammock with the help of joined bungee cords and carabiners.
These are the couple of easy techniques I would like to share with you. Both these procedures are easy to follow and will save your money, just a little concentration and will are required. You can always go for an expensive Underquilt, but you will never get the feeling of your own craft. Though it might seem a bit difficult at the beginning ultimately, it will become easier.
If you have any other idea of DIY hammock Underquilt technique, you can share with us. If you like our method, don’t forget to let us know and share it with your friends. Stay tuned for latest updates. Until then, take care and spread the goodness.